Sunday, April 20, 2008


This time of year always pulls me back a little closer to earth no matter what else is going on - I remembered this garter snake from a couple of years ago and dug up the picture.
There's enough unpaved, unlawned land around here to support a healthy snake population, and unfortunately a lot of them end up as roadkill, especially in the spring. One morning as I was riding away from the house I passed this guy sunning himself in the middle of the street, which is usually how they get run over, I assume. I couldn't help stopping to pick him up and take him into the back yard, which isn't more than 20 steps from the road but has much safer sunny spots. I put him down on the brick wall, and he just sat there.
I like snakes. They probably eat cockroaches and other things that creep you out even more.
Get over it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kate Wells said...

hippie.

April 23, 2008 at 8:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home